Friday, December 30, 2011

Opinion on Anti-Gay Calendar

I don't like it when people are made fun of or ridiculed.  I just don't.  I never have.  It REALLY bothers me.  It did in my High School Sunday School class (however long ago that was).
 It really bugged me when I went to a Christian Leadership camp just after high school and it was considered perfectly acceptable to make fun of the nations leaders. 
I didn't like hearing derogatory jokes during college... especially the "That's what she said" ones.

It's no different today.  Yesterday, I stumbled across an online controversy.  A large online retailer is selling a calendar titled, "I'm Not Gay, I'm Just a Sissy."  Please understand that I have not actually looked at any previews of the calendar so what I am saying should be taken with that in consideration.  From what I have gathered, it is a calendar dedicated to making fun of people who are living a homosexual lifestyle.  Naturally, GLAAD and others in the LGBT community are highly offended and calling for online retailers to pull it off their websites (Barnes and Noble already has). 

The fact that this calendar existed and was being sold bothered me. 
Do I think that people living in a homosexual lifestyle are living as men and women were designed to live? Absolutely not! 
Do I believe that their lifestyle is contrary to God's plan as laid out in the Bible?  Yes! 
Do I want to see them be made fun of because of their choice to live that way?  NO!

You see, it never has mattered to me whether the person being made fun of was popular or not.  The fact remained that they were a person that had feelings just like mine
That fact is still there.  Just because someone has chosen to live a life contrary to what I believe (and more importantly, contrary to God's will for our lives) does not mean that they should be fair game for ridicule. 
They are people, just like you and I. 
They have feelings, just like you and I. 
And, they are loved by God, just like you and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment