Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Pie Plesantries

One of the things I like to do when I have time (and a reason) is bake.  I really like to bake, but it can be difficult to do when a little person is under foot. 

My pastor's wife contacted me and asked if I would bake a cake, brownies, or pie for a leadership luncheon this past weekend and I jumped at the opportunity.   Friday night was the perfect night to do it after my son went to bed since my husband was out of town.  

I did make the pie dough earlier in the day and let it chill in the refrigerator until I was ready to make the fillings.  I made two pumpkin pies for the luncheon and one sugar-free pumpkin pie for my husband.  I figured that it was only fair to make him one also. 

I'm afraid that I am something of a pie crust snob.  I don't care for store-bought crusts.  I am even picky about other homemade crusts.  Sometimes even my own crust doesn't work as well as I would like. 

 This time though, the dough was perfect.  It rolled out nice and thin with almost no tearing!  They transferred beautifully to the pans.  My only complaint was that the crimping didn't stay standing, but I can live with that.

Anytime I'm in the kitchen, my son wants to help, so when baking, I try to include him.  He helped me make the pie dough by dumping the flour and salt in, then mixing them with the shortening.


No comments:

Post a Comment